Friday, October 12, 2007

And I You...

Pace= Blue
Sarah= Pink

I miss ministry with my wife.  For 6 years now, Sarah has had and continues to have the awesome responsibility of being a mom to our kids.  Before then, she was my compadre in ministry and in the middle of all the action.  Although she continues to be "with me" in ministry, her new position as CFO (Chief Family Operator) has her spending most of her time with our kids.  I thank God for her commitment and dedication.  She is the best mom out there (I am biased)!!  

When I first met Sarah and we started to get to know each other I remember asking her what she wanted to do when she got out of college.  Her answer:  "Be a great wife and mother."  AND THAT SHE IS!  

So, going into this relationship I knew what I was getting into with her.  Her life ambition was and is to be a great wife and mother.  But man, I never knew how much time the "mother" part would take.  I miss time in "ministry action" with her.  I want it back! 

Together we are taking it back!  We are starting a blog-TOGETHER!

Now it's my turn:  When Pace and I started dating, I was 19 and love struck.  I was willing to go to any lengths to do ministry with him.  I helped him set up chairs in the youth room each week, I taught the 8th grade girls' Sunday school class, and I willingly volunteered to stay up all night at lock-ins.  It's crazy, the things we'll do for love!

All the while, though, I knew that my long-term calling into ministry would probably not involve youth trips and speaking from the stage, but instead changing diapers and planning meals.  I am a homebody at heart, as pro-family as they come, and I'm willing to live in the trenches of teething and the stomach flu for years on end.  I was designed to be a wife and mother, and I relish my place.  

So as our relationship has changed from casual dating all the way to celebrating our 10th anniversary as husband and wife, so has my ministry changed.  Realistically speaking, I'm not going to be able to do much volunteer work at our church until our children can at least all feed themselves.  Instead, I spend as much time as I can praying for Pace, making our home a peaceful haven for him to come home to at night, and instilling a love for the church in our children.   While our roles have changed from those early years, we continue to balance each other: as I  monitor the pulse inside our home and family, he does the hands-on work of ministry at the church.   One without the other wouldn't be effective, but together, we thrive.

Sarah- that's why I love you.  AND I YOU!

We hope that together we can encourage and challenge people in their journey with God.  




26 comments:

Jenny said...

I have loved reading Sarah's blog for quite some time. I am delighted to be reading (and being the first to comment on) your couple blog! We are in the same "life stage" ... married 11 years, and 4 kids ranging from 8 to 6 months. Have fun with your new ministry as a couple!

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

I love this concept! I am going to enjoy this. :-)

Sandy said...

I think this blog is a great idea. From reading Sarah's blog and seeing the time and commitment she puts into her family. I often wondered about the husband/wife. The "couple-love" and commitment and friendship is truly there, but making it work and keeping it working is a challenge for all of us with children. I look forward to your posts. What a lovely idea to do it together. Thank you.

Ivey's Mom said...

wonderful.

Leah said...

Looking forward to reading your brand new blog. If it's anything like Sarah's - real, transparent, honest and funny, you'll have quite the following!

Sarah, was this your brainchild, being laid up with lots of time to think? =)

boomama said...

YAY! WE CAN ALL SAY "PACE" NOW! :-)

And seriously - this is such a great idea, y'all.

Girl Raised in the South said...

I dont know of another single blog out there that is husband/wife team, such a great idea! Can't wait to see what you two have to share. xoxoxoMom

Jen T. said...

Your story reminds me of ours - married almost 8 years and we started out the same - three kids, but we have two girls and a boy. I am looking forward to your new blog!

Sam said...

What's a lock-in?

Brittani's Holding Little Hands said...

Pace, I have always known you are a brave man, but hanging with the woman in the blog world puts you on a new level in my book! You know you will take some slack from Chris and Dan on this one, right? :)

Knowing both of you is to love you and I am thrilled the rest of bloggityland will get that priveledge.

Pace and Sarah said...

Brittani- I would expext nothing more from Chris and Dan. It's all part of the fun!! :-)

Tell Chris he can look here on occassion and learn how to fish... hahaha

Deidre said...

How exciting. I loved your words of 'ministering together'. My husband has a full-time job, but has also led our youth in our church for 7 years. As our own children came along, my 'ministry' changed as well, but following Sarah's blog for over a year has helped to teach me what a home should look like ... serving my husband and children is the best ministry I can be in.

I love this idea and look forward to more posts.

MomToThree said...

Sarah & Pace,

I have been a faithful reader of In the Midst of It for a while now and I have really loved it. Sarah your wonderful way with words has made me laugh and cry! I am so excited about your new couple’s blog – My hubs and I sat and read it this morning – something new to do together- NO Excuses -and it only takes a few minutes and we can get back to the business of wrangling our three kiddos!

Thank you!

Kelli said...

What a great concept,you two. Now, you have a ministry together in the bloggy world.

Linda said...

What a wonderfully unique idea Sarah. I always read your blog but rarely comment. I am a grandmother these days but remember well the time and commitment of family when the children were young. The special thing for us women is that our lives have different seasons. I'm sure there will be a time when you are more immersed in ministry with Pace than with diapers and all the things that come with nurturing little ones. One thing I've found doesn't change for me - it is loving home and trying to make it a place of peace and blessing. You do that with special grace and love. I'm looking forward to reading this "team blog".

Jenna said...

Awesome! I am so looking forward to reading :)

Barb said...

What a great idea. I can't wait to see what you two do with this. I love the whole idea of a husband-wife team blog.

I'm going to have to get used to "Pace." I've always known you as Chris.

And seriously, Sarah? Fishing lessons, too? That alone pretty much guarantees the success of this new blog! :-)

xoxoxo
Aunt Barb

Pace and Sarah said...

Aunt Barb, that was Pace/Chris, not me! He wrote the comment to Brittani's husband, who is also a Chris. You can see why P/C goes by Pace now :)

I don't fish.

Amanda said...

What a great idea! I can amen everything you said about ministry before kids. I have wrestled a lot with the changes I've had to make since having Jackson. Some of them were easy to make - like giving up lock-ins - but others were much harder. Sarah, you have really encouraged me in this area through your blog. So thanks! I look forward to more team posts from y'all!

Marc and Charity said...

Cool idea Sarah, I look forward to hearing his side of things. Our first term overseas we had no children and I did everything with Marc. Now, I've had to adjust that and am still learning to deal with some things that I miss out on- but so grateful that I am home with my girls!

Tammy said...

What A great concept! I have just started reading your blog a couple of days ago. I found it on '"A Chelsea Morning" which I started reading several weeks ago. I, too, have 3 children so I know how busy life can be! I look foward to reading your new blog!

Tammy in MN

Erin said...

Ministry families-unite! :)

Jen said...

Sounds awesome! I look forward to reading more.

Ashleigh Baker said...

What fun... love the idea! You two are just the cutest. :)

Kristi said...

You already have encouraged us :). Chris, I think I can speak for most of us bloggers, we love your wife! Which is odd, if you think about it since we have never met! I will have to let my husband read this sometime--who says good blogging is just for women?!

Kellie said...

Sarah - I know you wrote this post a long time ago, but it has stuck with me, and encouraged me. I love your description of what ministry in your life looks like as mom and wife.

I'm pregnant and have been in process of stepping down from a (volunteer) ministry leadership position, as well as my paid job, which is for a non-profit ministry as well. I have received so much push-back from the volunteer one... that perhaps I'm being less faithful and not trusting God to manage my time and priorities. I will still serve, I just know it will need to look different for a time.

Anyway, I went back and read this post. It's very encouraging. Thank you!